Northorpe, a parish in Lincolnshire, on the river Eau, and on the main line of the M.S. & L.R., on which it has a station, 4 miles WSW of Kirton-in-Lindsey, and 8 NE of Gainsborough. It has a post office under Lincoln; money order office, Scotter; telegraph office, Kirton Lindsey. Acreage, 1837; population of the civil parish, 196; of the ecclesiastical, 240. The manor belongs to the Fox family. Northorpe Hall is a fine modern mansion of stone standing in a park of about 70 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £194 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lincoln. The church is a very ancient building, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower. It contains some good wood carving and several ancient brasses. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Northorpe St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Northorpe:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Northorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Northorpe (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: