North Somercotes, Lincolnshire
Somercotes, North, a parish, with a large scattered village, in Lincolnshire, on the coast, 10 miles NE of Louth, and 5½ N from Saltfleetby station on the Louth and East Coast branch of the G.N.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grimsby. Acreage, 6005; population, 1125. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. A coastguard station is at Donna Nook, and a lifeboat is maintained there by the National Lifeboat Institution. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £-260 with residence. Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is a large building of stone consisting of a chancel, nave, aisles, N and S porches, and a western tower. There are also Free Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a mission hall, a reading-room, and a Foresters' hall.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for North Somercotes:
Online maps of North Somercotes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: