North Scarle, Lincolnshire
Scarle, North, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, 2½ miles NNW of Swinderby station on the Nottingham and Lincoln branch of the M.R., and 10 WSW of Lincoln. It has a post office under Newark; money order and telegraph office, Collingham. Acreage, 2020; population, 482. There is a parish council which consists of five members. The manor belongs to the Falkner family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £195 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient Norman building, some portions of which are said to date from the reign of William Rufus. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and a small charity estate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||North Scarle All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for North Scarle:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for North Scarle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Scarle, North (All Saints))
Online maps of North Scarle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: