Martin, a parish in Lincolnshire, on the Horncastle Canal, 2½ miles SW by S of Horncastle station on the G.N.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Horncastle. Acreage, 844; population of the civil parish, 117; of the ecclesiastical, with Thornton, 211. The manor belongs to the Gilliat family. The living is a rectory, consolidated with the vicarage of Thornton, in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £204 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield and the Gilliat family alternately. The church is a slated edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of nave and chancel. Scott the commentator began his ministry here.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Martin St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Martin By Horncastle:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Martin from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Martin (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: