Marsh Chapel, Lincolnshire
Marsh Chapel, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands 1½ mile E of the Louth Navigation, 2½ miles from the coast, 5 ENE of Ludborough station on the East Lincolnshire branch of the G.N.R., and 10 NNE of Louth, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grimsby. The parish extends to the coast; comprises 3169 acres of land, 6 of water, and 973 of tidal water and foreshore; and includes 304 acres of salt marsh, reclaimed and embanked in 1858; population, 564. The manor belongs to the Stanhope family. The land is fertile reclaimed marsh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £140 with residence. The church, one of the finest in the district, is an edifice of stone in the Late Perpendicular style; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chantry-chapel, with pinnacled tower; was restored in the chancel in 1848, in the nave in 1864; and contains a fine oak screen, a carved oak pulpit, a handsome octagonal font, and a monument of 1617 to W. Harpham, his wife, and daughter. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and United Free Methodist chapels. Eskham or East Holrne, West End, and Fire Beacon are adjacent hamlets.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Marsh-Chapel St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Marshchapel:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marsh Chapel from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Marsh-Chapel (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: