Lissington, a parish in Lincolnshire, on a small tributary of the river Witham, 2½ miles NE of Wickenby station on the Hull and Lincoln branch of the M.S. & L.R., and 4 NNW of Wragby. It has a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Wragby. Acreage, 1533; population, 220. The manor belongs to the Turnor family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £245 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of York. The church consists of nave and chancel, with bell-turret. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lissington St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Lissington:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lissington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lissington (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Lissington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: