Limber Magna, Lincolnshire
Limber Magna, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 4 miles S from Brocklesby station on the M.S. & L.E. main line, and 5 N by E of Caistor, and has a post office, of the name of Limber, under Brocklesby (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Keelby. The parish comprises 5228 acres; population, 530. The manor, with all the land, belongs to the Earl of Yarborough. An alien priory, a cell to Aulnoy Abbey in Normandy, was founded here in the time of Henry IL by Richard de Humet; went in the time of Richard II. to the Carthusian abbey of St Anne, near Coventry; and, as part of that abbey's possessions, was given at the dissolution to John Bellow and others. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £510 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, consists of chancel, nave, aisles with attached chapels, and also an embattled western tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Limber Magna St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Great Limber:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Limber Magna from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Limber Magna (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: