Knaith, a parish and a village in Lincolnshire, adjacent to the river Trent at the boundary with Notts, 3 miles S by E of Gainsborough. It is intersected by the G.E. and G.N. Joint railway, on which there is a station called Lea, 1 mile NE. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Gainsborough. Acreage, 1369; population, 86. The manor belonged formerly to the Darcys and the Willoughbys, and belongs now to the Hutton family. The living is a perpetual curacy, united with the rectory of Burton Gate, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net yearly value, £172 with residence. The church belonged to the Cistercian nunnery of Heyninges, is in the Decorated English style, and has two windows ornamented with rich tracery. Knaith Hall is a chief residence. Thomas Sutton, founder of the Charterhouse, London, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Gainsborough|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Knaith:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knaith from the following:
Online maps of Knaith are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: