Kirmington, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 3 miles E of Barnetby station on the M.S. & L.R., and 7 N of Caistor, with a post office under Brocklesby (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Ulceby. Acreage, 1904; population of the civil parish, 427; of the ecclesiastical, with Brocklesby, 713. The manor belongs totheEarlofYarborough. A fertile vale here is known as Kirmington Vale. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Brocklesby, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross yearly value, £450 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Yarborough. The church is a building of stone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and a tower of the 12th century. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and four almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kirmington St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Glandford-Brigg|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Kirmington:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kirmington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Kirmington (St. Helen))
Online maps of Kirmington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: