Odd Rode, Cheshire
Odd Rode, a township and an ecclesiastical parish, formerly part of Astbury parish, Cheshire. The present divisions of the township are Little Moreton and Bode. In the Little Moreton division is situated Old Moreton Hall, now occupied as a farmhouse, but formerly the seat of the Moreton family. It was built about 1540, and is one of the finest specimens in the country of the old-fashioned timber-and-plaster mansions. It is still surrounded by a moat, and includes a small chapel. In the Rode division are the hamlets of Rode Heath, Thurlwood, Scholar Green, Kent Green, Cinder Hill, Hall Green, and (on Mow Cop Hill) the hamlets of Mount Pleasant, Fir Close, and The Bank. In this division also is Rode Hall, the seat of the Wilbraham family. Acreage of the township, 3750; population, 3121. Mow Cop Hill culminates on the boundary with Staffordshire, has an altitude of 1091 feet above sea-level, and commands an extensive and beautiful view. Coal is worked, building stone is quarried, and a wharf of the Hall o' Lea Colliery Company is at Kent Green. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1860. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £350 with residence. Patron, the Eector of Astbnry. The church stands in the centre of the township, and was built in 1864 after designs by Sir Gilbert Scott. A church and a Primitive Methodist chapel are at Mow Cop, a Wesleyan chapel at Hall Green, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Kent Green. The parish has a parish council consisting of fourteen members.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Congleton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Odd Rode from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.