Hougham, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on the river Witham, 6 miles NNW from Grantham, and has a station 1 mile E from the village on the G.N. main line. Post town and money order office, Grantham; telegraph office, Hougham station. Acreage of parish, 2477; population, 287. The manor belonged formerly to the Brudenell family; now to the Thorold family. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Marston, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross yearly value, £378 with residence. The church is an ancient building of stone in the Norman, Early English, and Later styles; has Norman pillars on the S aisle, consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower, and contains a handsome screen and a figured monumental stone of a Knight Templar. The population of the united ecclesiastical parishes½of Hougham and Marston is 589.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hougham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Newark|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Hougham:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hougham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hougham (All Saints))
Online maps of Hougham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: