Heckington, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands adjacent to the Boston and Grantham branch of the G.N.R., 5 miles ESE from Sleaford, and has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.), a police station, a temperance hall, and a sheep and cattle fair on the second Thursday in Sept. The parish contains also the hamlet of Garwick and the tract called Six Hundreds. Acreage, 5802; population, 1686. The living is a discharged vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £270 with residence. The church is Decorated English, cruciform, and 172 feet long; has a W tower 98 feet high, surmounted by a spire 86 feet high; and contains ancient stallwork, a fine hexagonal font, a double piscina, a rich Easter tomb, an altar-tomb and effigies of Richard de Potes-grave, chaplain to Edward III., who was vicar in 1307, and several interesting inscriptions and monuments. It was restored in 1887-88. There are a chapel of ease at East Heckington, consecrated in 1890, a Baptist, a Primitive Methodist, a Reformed Methodist, and two Wesleyan chapels. There are also charities worth about £113 a year, and four almshouses which were erected in 1888. An ancient market cross, formerly in the village is now in the churchyard.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Heckington St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Heckington 1561-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Heckington:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Heckington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Heckington (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Heckington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury
Villages, Hamlets, &cGarrick