Harrington, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, 6 miles NW from Spilsby station on the G.N.R., and 5½ W from Alford. Post town, Spilsby; money order and telegraph office, Partney. Acreage, 1069; population of the civil parish, 101; of the ecclesiastical, with Brinkhill, 249. The manor with all the property belonged formerly to the Copledykes and the Amcottses, and belongs now to the Ingilby family. Harrington Hall is an Early Tudor mansion, altered by Vincent Amcotts in 1680 after his purchase of the manor from the heirs of Thomas Copledyke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value,, £222 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1854, is in the Decorated English style, and contains several ancient and interesting monuments of the Copledykes and the Amcottses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Harrington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Harrington:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Harrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Harrington (St. Mary))
Online maps of Harrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: