Great Steeping, Lincolnshire
Steeping, Great, a parish, with a village, in Lincolnshire, on the river Steeping, 1½ mile NNW of Firsby station on the East Lincolnshire section of the G.N.R., and 3 miles ESE of Spilsby. It has a post office under Spilsby; money order office, Spilsby; telegraph office, Firsby railway station. Acreage, 1746; population, 225. The manor, with most of the land, belongs to the Earl of Ancaster. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Firsby, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church, erected in 1891, is a building of red brick and stone, consisting of chancel and nave only. The old church, a small building of sandstone and brick, is now used only for funerals. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Steeping All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Great Steeping:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Steeping from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Steeping, Great (All Saints))
Online maps of Great Steeping are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: