Great Hale, Lincolnshire
Hale, Great, a township and a parish in Lincolnshire. The township lies half a mile S of Heckington station on the G.N.R. and 5½ miles ESE from Sleaford. It has a post office under Heckington; money order and telegraph office, Heckington. The parish includes also the township of Little Hale. Area of Great Hale, 3696 acres; population, 615; of ecclesiastical parish, 901. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net value, £400 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church comprises nave and aisles, and a tower which dates from about the 13th century. There are charities worth about £60 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hale St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Great Hale:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Hale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hale, Great (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Great Hale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: