Great Gonerby, Lincolnshire
Gonerby, Great, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, in the Parts of Resteven and petty sessional division of Spittlegate. The village, which stands on the great North Road, near the G.N.R., 2 miles NNW of Grantham, is large and well built, and has a post office under Grantham; money order and telegraph office, Grantham. The parish comprises 3943 acres; population, 1053. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow, who owns about half the soil. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross yearly value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Grantham. The church, dedicated to St Sebastian, is an ancient building of stone in various styles; it is interesting and handsome, consisting of nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, and chancel; it has an embattled tower, with crocketed spire, having three bells and a clock, and contains an altar-tomb of 1500. It was restored in 1875, and in 1890 a handsome organ was erected. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gonerby St. Sebastian|
|Poor Law union||Grantham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Great Gonerby 1560-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Great Gonerby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Gonerby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gonerby, Great (St. Sebastian))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury