Great Carlton, Lincolnshire
Carlton, Great, a parish in Lincolnshire, 3½ miles E of Legbourne station on the G.N.R., and 6 ESE of Louth, under which it has a post office of the name of Carlton; money order and telegraph office, Louth. Acreage, 2402; population, 245. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; gross yearly value, £360 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1860, is a building of Ancaster stone in the Early English style, and there are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school. Carlton Lodge is a handsome mansion built in the Elizabethan style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Carlton St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Louth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Great Carlton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Carlton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Carlton, Great (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Great Carlton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: