Grasby, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on the Wolds, 2 miles ENE of North Resley station on the M.S. & L.B., and 3 NW of Lincoln. It has a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Caistor. The parish has an area of 1089 acres; population, 347. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £235 with residence. Patron, Lord Tennyson. The church is a building of stone, in the Gothic style of the 13th century. Mr Charles Tennyson Turner, brother of Lord Tennyson, was vicar here for forty years, and the church, vicarage, and schools were built at his expense. He wrote a considerable number of sonnets, &c., some of which the late laureate ranked among the noblest in our language. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grassby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Grasby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grasby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Grassby (All Saints))
Online maps of Grasby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: