East Halton, Lincolnshire
Halton, East, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands about a mile from the Humber, 2 miles E from Thornton Abbey station on the M.S. & L.R., and 7 ESE from Barton-on-Humber; is a long, irregularly-built place, and has a post office under Ulceby; money order office, Goxhill; telegraph office, Ulceby. The parish extends to Halton Skitter Creek, and comprises 3325 acres; population, 505. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £150. Patron, the Earl of Yarborough. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||East Halton St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Glandford-Brigg|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for East Halton:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for East Halton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Halton, East, or Halton-upon-Humber (St. Peter))
Online maps of East Halton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: