UK Genealogy Archives logo

Digby, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Digby, a parish in Lincolnshire, on a rivulet called Digby Beck, 6 miles N by W from Sleaford. It has a station on the Spalding and Doncaster extension of the G.N.R. and G.E.R., and a post office under Lincoln; money order and telegraph office, Ruskington. Acreage, 2494; population, 344. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Bloxhoime, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross yearly value, £342 with residence. The church is Early English,. with pinnacled tower and crocketed spire, and has a fine Norman entrance and embattled walls. A fine cross is near the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Ecclesiastical parishDigby St. Thomas à Becket 
Poor Law unionSleaford 
WapentakeFlaxwell 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Digby:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1679-1907 1679-18371679-1911

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Digby from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Digby are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:

DistrictNorth Kesteven
CountyLincolnshire
RegionEast Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtLN4
Post TownLincoln