Deeping St James or East Deeping, Lincolnshire
Deeping St James or East Deeping, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, on the river Welland, at the boundary with Northamptonshire, with a station 2 miles E from the village on the East Lincoln branch of the G.N.R., and 1 mile E of Market Deeping, and a post and money order office under Market Deeping; telegraph office, Market Deeping. Acreage, 4293; population, 1501. A Benedictine priory was founded here in 1139 by Baldwin Wake, was given to Thorney Abbey, and passed at the Dissolution to the Norfolks. The manor house is now one of the residences of Lord Burghley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £220 with residence. The church is of the time of Henry III., and has a lofty tower and octangular spire. There are Roman Catholic, Free Methodist, Particular Baptist, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Deeping St. James|
|Poor Law union||Bourne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Deeping St James:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Deeping St James or East Deeping from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Deeping (St. James))
Online maps of Deeping St James or East Deeping are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: