UK Genealogy Archives logo

Corby, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Corby, a small town and parish in Lincolnshire. The town stands on the river Glen, and on the Roman road to Anc aster, adjacent to the G.N.R., 11 miles SSE of Grantham, and has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office under Grantham, and a large fair on the Monday before 11 Oct. A statute fair for servants is held in May. The parish comprises 2906 acres; population, 745. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Irnham, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint gross yearly value, £688, with residence. The church is Decorated English, was partially restored in 1861, and has a square pinnacled tower. There are Wesleyan and Roman Catholic chapels. A grammar school, founded in 1669, has £48 from endowment.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Ecclesiastical parishCorby St. John the Evangelist 
Poor Law unionBourne 
WapentakeBeltisloe 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Corby:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1564-18901653-18011564-18371564-1896

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Corby from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: