Canwick, a parish in Lincolnshire, 1½ mile SE of the city of Lincoln, which is the post town, and the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2118; population, 269. Canwick Hall is the seat of the Sibthorp family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; gross income, £450 with residence, in the gift of the Mercers Company of London. The church is an ancient structure of stone in the Norman, Transitional, and Late Decorated styles, the foundations being laid on a Roman pavement which underlies the whole church, and which presumably belonged to a very early sacred edifice, as Roman tombstones have been found in immediate proximity.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Canwick All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lincoln|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Canwick:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Canwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Canwick (All Saints))
Online maps of Canwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: