Butterwick, a parish in Lincolnshire, on the coast, near Boston Deeps, 4½ miles E of Boston railway station. It includes an allotment in the East Fen, and has a post office under Boston, which is the money order and telegraph office. Area, 1224 acres of land and 19 of water; population, 473. The living is a vicarage annexed to the vicarage of Friesiton, in the diocese of Lincoln; joint net yearly value, £266 with residence. The church has an Early English octagonal font, and a rood turret. It was restored in 1880. There are Wesleyan and United Free Church Methodist chapels, Church of England Home for the Reclamation of Penitent Females, and an endowed school, founded in 1665.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Butterwick St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Boston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Butterwick:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Butterwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Butterwick (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Butterwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: