UK Genealogy Archives logo

Broughton, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Broughton, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village stands on Ermine Street, probably on the site of a Roman station, near the river Ancholme, 3 miles NW of Glanford Brigg, and 3½ N of Scawby station on the M.S. & L.R., and has a post and telegraph office under Brigg; money order office, Scawby. The parish includes also the township of Castlethorpe, and the hamlets of Manby and Gokewell. Acreage, 7073; population, 1257. A nunnery was founded here in 1185 by William de Alta Ripa. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £940 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice in mixed styles, and contains some interesting brasses and monuments. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBroughton St. Mary 
Poor Law unionGlandford-Brigg 
WapentakeManley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Broughton By Brigg:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1538-18461754-18021538-18491538-1858

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Broughton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Broughton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Castle Thorpe
Gokewell
Manby (Broughton)
CountyNorth Lincolnshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN20
Post TownBrigg