Branston or Branson, Lincolnshire
Branston or Branson, a parish in Lincolnshire, 4 miles SE of Lincoln, and 1¼ mile S from Branston and Heighington station on the G.E. and G.N. Joint line from Spalding to Doncaster. It includes a fen allotment, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Lincoln. Acreage, 5679; population, 1221. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; net value, £575 with residence. The church is a building of stone in the Early Norman and Early English styles. It was restored in 1876. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Branston Hall and Long Hills are chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Branston All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Lincoln|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Branston:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Branston or Branson from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Branston (All Saints))
Online maps of Branston or Branson are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: