UK Genealogy Archives logo

Belton (Isle of Axholme), Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Belton, a parish in Lincolnshire, in the Isle of Axholme, 1½ mile N of Epworth, and 3½ miles S from Crowie station on the M.S. & L.R. It includes the hamlets of Beltoft. Braken, Carrhouse, Grey Green, Mosswood, Sandtoft, Temple Belwood, Westgate, and Woodhouse, and has a post and money order office under Doncaster; telegraph office, Epworth. Acreage, 8307; population, 1421. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £172 with residence. The church is a large building of stone in the Gothic style, with an embattled western tower. There are also Wesleyan, New Connection, and Primitive Methodist chapels. Temple Belwood, an ancient country seat, is in this parish. A fair is held on 25 Sept.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Ecclesiastical parishBelton All Saints 
Poor Law unionThorne 
WapentakeManley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Belton in Axholme:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1542-19111653-17741542-19111542-1884

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Belton (Isle of Axholme) from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Belton (Isle of Axholme) are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Beltoft
Mosswood
Westgate
Woodhouse
CountyNorth Lincolnshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN9
Post TownDoncaster