Barton upon Humber, Lincolnshire
Barton upon Humber, a small town in Lincolnshire. The town stands on a rising-ground, about¼ of a mile from the Humber, at the terminus of a branch of the M.S. & L.R., 3½ miles westward from New Holland, and 7 WSW of Hull. It occupies the site of a Roman station, and was a place of considerable commerce in the time of the Conqueror, but suffered much when Edward I. made Hull a free borough. It consists principally of spacious but irregularly built streets, and contains some good modern houses. St Peter's Church is a large edifice of nave, aisles, and chancel, chiefly in the Decorated style, with a tower partly Saxon, partly Early Norman; it was renovated in 1859 at a cost of about £1400. St Mary's Church is a structure mainly of the 13th century. The chancel of this church was restored and refitted in 1883 at a cost of £700. The body of the church was restored in 1892 at a cost of £1800. St Peter's and St Mary's parishes are united in one living - a vicarage; net yearly value, £290, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln. There are also Roman Catholic, Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. A good trade exists in corn and flour; manufactures are carried on in ropes, sacking, bricks, tiles, pottery, and malt. The town is a coastguard station, a seat of petty sessions, a polling place for the North Lindsey division of the county, and a head post, money order, and telegraph office; population, 5226. The two parishes are St Peter and St Mary, but by a Local Government Order which came into force in 1887 these were united under the title of Barton-upon-Humber. The town is governed by a local board of 21 members, under the Local Government Act of 1858; it is well supplied with gas and water. Area, 6325 acres of land and 858 of water and foreshore. Remains of ramparts and other works, raised for defence in the Saxon times, occur at Castle Dykes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barton-upon-Humber St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Glandford-Brigg|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Barton On Humber:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barton upon Humber from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barton-Upon-Humber (St. Peter))
Online maps of Barton upon Humber are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: