Barrowby, a parish, with three hamlets, in Lincolnshire, on the Grantham and Nottingham railway, 1½ mile W of Grantham, under which it has a post and telegraph office. Acreage, 4440; population, 817. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross value, £1025 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church is an ancient and interesting edifice of stoue of the Early English Decorated period. There are Free Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barrowby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Grantham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Barrowby 1538-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Barrowby:
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barrowby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barrowby (All Saints))
Online maps of Barrowby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury
Villages, Hamlets, &cCasthorpe
Stenwith or Stenwaites