Ashby Puerorum, Lincolnshire
Ashby-Puerorum, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, on the Wolds, 4½ miles ENE of Horncastle station on the G.N.R. The parish includes the hamlets of Stainsby and Holbeck, and its post town and telegraph office is Horncastle; money order office, Tetford. Acreage, 1631; population, 121. An estate was bequeathed to the Lincoln chorister boys, and this is alluded to in the distinctive name Puerorum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; net yearly value, £141. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is a small antique structure, with a massive tower, and is in very good condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashby-Puerorum St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Horncastle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Ashby Puerorum:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman and Early English styles, the windows being Perpendicular: it consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a tower, with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: about 1850 it underwent extensive repairs, at a cost of nearly £300, raised by a rate and private subscription; it was last restored about 1878: in the church is a brass with effigies, executed c. 1560, to Richard Lytleburye esq. of Stanesbye, ob. 1521, and to his wife, Elizabeth (Jenney), ob. 1523: there is another brass with effigies of a man, his wife and ten children, possibly of the same family, and there is a fine incised slab in the chancel: there are 76 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashby Puerorum from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashby-Puerorum (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Ashby Puerorum are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury
On Aug. 8, 1901, the ecclesiastical parishes of Greetham and Ashby Puerorum were united by Order in Council.