Ashby with Fenby, Lincolnshire
Ashby-with-Fenby, a parish in Lincolnshire, at the foot of the Wolds, 3 miles SW of Holton-le-Clay station on the G.N.R., and 6½- S by W of Great Grimsby, which is the post town; money order and telegraph office, Waltham. Acreage, 1696; population, 227. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross yearly value, £200. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and six almshouses with £30 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashby St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Caistor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Ashby Cum Fenby:
The register, including that of Fenby, dates only from the year 1723, the former register having been destroyed.
Church of England
St. Peter (parish church)
The church of St. Peter is a small but ancient structure of stone in the Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the oldest portion is the south wall of the nave: one of the chancel windows contains some contemporary stained glass, and there is an ancient stone font: in the tower is the recumbent cross-legged effigy of a knight of the time of Edward I.; and there are other monuments to Susanna, daughter of Sir William Drury and sister of Lady Frances Wray, and to Sir William Wray, who died at Ashby in 1617, and lies buried in Ashby church with Frances his wife, eldest daughter of Sir William Drury kt. of Hawsteade, in the county of Suffolk, and his wife the Lady Elizabeth Stafforde, descended from the illustrious family of the Dukes of Buckingham; there is also an inscribed slab to another member of the Wray family, dated 1699: the fabric was extensively repaired in 1845: the tower was repaired in 1886, and an organ erected in 1884 at a cost of £70: there are sittings for 160 persons.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1836; it was rebuilt in 1904.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashby with Fenby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashby (St. Peter))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: