Asgarby (Kesteven), Lincolnshire
Asgarby, a township in Kesteven parish, Lincolnshire, 3 miles E of Sleaford. Its post town is Heckington. Acreage, 726; population, 76. Besides the hamlet of Boughton are two small hamlets, Wash Dyke, bordering on Heckington, and Asgarby Fen, beyond the village of Howell. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor, owner of nearly all the soil, and patron of the benefice. The church (St Andrew) is a Gothic or Later English fabric, with handsome tower and spire containing four bells. The building was restored in 1870, when a handsome oak pulpit was presented, and open benches substituted for the old pews. The rectory has been united to that of Kirkby-Laythorpe since 1737; joint net yearly value has fallen to £458. The parish church of Kirkby is very ancient.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Asgarby St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Sleaford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Asgarby By Sleaford:
Church of England
St. Andrew (parish church)
The church of St. Andrew is a small structure of stone in the Late Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, south porch, and a stone tower of extraordinary size and height; with spire and containing 4 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and locker, and there is a piscina in the south aisle: the tower and spire, added in the Perpendicular period, are very striking but completely dwarf the church; the former has a rich parapet, with lozenge-shaped panels and four tall pinnacles, with singular crocketed flying buttresses: the spire is also crocketed and has two tiers of louvre lights: on the western splay of the chancel door is a curious but roughly cut outline of a chalice and wafer; on the north-side is a monument to Cecily, wife of Samuel Sutton, rector, 1680, and on the south side a brass inscription to John Butler of Baketon, 1603, with arms and crest: the church was restored in 1870, when an oak pulpit was presented by Bruce Tomlinson esq.: there are 100 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Asgarby (Kesteven) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Asgarby (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Asgarby (Kesteven) are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: