Ancaster, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire. The village contains the Grantham and Boston branch of the G.N.R., on the line of Ermine Street, 8 miles NE of Grantham. It has a station on the railway, with telegraph office, and a post and money order office under Grantham. It gave the title of Duke, now extinct, to the Berties of Uffington. The title has been revived, and Lord Aveland is now Earl of Ancaster. A Roman station, either Causennae or Crocolana, occupied its site, and many Roman coins, bricks, and other relics have been found. A spot in the neighbourhood was the scene of a victory in 1643 over the Parliamentarians. The parish contains also the hamlets of Sudbrooke and West Willoughby. Acreage, 2869; population, 600. The chief residences are Ancaster Hall, the seat of the Lucas Calcraft family, and West Willoughby Hall, the seat of the Allix family. A tract which formerly was a common, wild and barren, is now enclosed and fertile. A fine oolitic building-stone is extensively quarried; has been used for Belvoir Castle, Wollaton Hall, the Midland Railway terminus at St Pancras, and other great edifices; and is well exemplified in the parsonage, which was built in 1842. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln; yearly value, £190 with residence. The church is a building of Ancaster stone in the Norman, Early English, and Decorated styles. There are Wesleyan and Wesleyan Reform chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ancaster St. Martin|
|Poor Law union||Grantham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Ancaster:
Church of England
St. Martin (parish church)
The church of St. Martin is a small but ancient edifice of Ancaster stone, in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with disproportionate spire containing 5 bells: the tower was restored in 1912. The very beautiful Norman arcade of four bays, on the north side of the nave, has circular piers with cushioned capitals, and the mouldings of the arches increase in elaboration as they approach the east: the south arcade, of three bays, is Early English, but its walls Decorated: portions of the old chancel screen are now incorporated into the Pew's: there is a fine Norman font: the four stained windows in the chancel and two at the west end were presented by F. W. Allix esq. and other memorial windows were placed in 1880 and 1904 by the Rev. Pemberton Lloyd M.A. vicar 1895-1903, to Stephen Pemberton M.A., B.M. Lucy Anderson Lloyd, Lucy Penelope Lloyd, and Marjorie Stote: in 1859 the nave was refloored, refitted and other repairs effected, under the direction of Messrs. Kirk and Parry: in 1898-9 the organ and font were removed into the body of the church: there are 220 sittings: in the church porch are two fine ecclesiastical effigies, and in the churchyard several stone coffins; some remarkable sculptures of Roman origin have been met with near the church, including representations of the "Deæ Matres" and a small altar, together with an old Roman milestone of the time of Constantine (A.D. 306-24). By Order in Council, gazetted Mar 29, 1909, the churchyard was closed for burials, except in family vaults.
Primitive Methodist Chapel
The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ancaster from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ancaster (St. Martin))
Online maps of Ancaster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:
- Grantham Journal
- Grimsby Daily Telegraph
- Lincolnshire Chronicle
- Lincolnshire Echo
- Lincolnshire Free Press
- Louth and North Lincolnshire Advertiser
- Stamford Mercury
Villages, Hamlets, &cSudbrooke (Ancaster)