UK Genealogy Archives logo

Amcotts, Lincolnshire

Historical Description

Amcotts, a township, a village, and a parish in the Isle of Axholme, Lincolnshire, on the river Trent, 5 miles E by N of Crowie, and 3 SW of Althorpe station on the M.S. & L.R. Post town, Doncaster; money order and telegraph office, Keadby. The parish comprises 2106 acres; population, 332. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln, and was formerly annexed to the rectory of Althorpe; gross yearly value, £360 with residence, in the gift of the Crown. The church, an edifice of stone in the Early English style, was erected in 1853. A former church, dedicated to St Thomas a Becket, fell in 1849. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyLincolnshire 
Civil parishAlthorp 
Poor Law unionThorne 
WapentakeManley 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Amcotts:

BaptismsBannsMarriagesBurials
1836-1911 1836-19111836-1911

The register dates from the year 1836; all entries previous to this date are in the registers of Althorpe parish.


Churches

Church of England

St. Thomas à Becket (parish church)

The church of St. Thomas-à-Becket, erected in 1853, at a cost of £1,300, a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and western tower, with broach spire, containing a clock and 3 bells: there are four stained windows in the chancel and one in the nave, erected in 1885, to members of the Belton-Ross family: the church is built on the site of the old chapel of St. Thomas-à-Becket, which fell down in 1850, having itself been erected from the ruins of a much larger structure: there are 180 sittings.

Methodist

Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here.

Wesleyan Chapel

A Wesleyan chapel was built here in 1870, and a Sunday School added to it in 1886.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Amcotts from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Amcotts are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online:

CountyNorth Lincolnshire
RegionYorkshire and the Humber
CountryEngland
Postal districtDN17
Post TownScunthorpe