Algarkirk, a parish in Lincolnshire, near Fosdyke Wash, 6½ miles S by W of Boston. It has a station, with Sutterton, on the G.N.R. Post town, Boston; money order and telegraph office, Sutterton. Acreage, 2740; population of the civil parish, 469; of the ecclesiastical, with Fosdyke, 902. Algarkirk Hall is a spacious modern dwelling, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded park. The living is a rectory, united with Fosdyke, in the diocese of Lincoln; gross yearly value, £1728. The church is cruciform, with a low central tower; shows successive characters from traces of Norman to Later English; has a beautiful reredos; and contains sedilia and an octagonal font. A stone in the churchyard is said to mark the grave of Algar, Earl of Mercia, who fell in battle against the Danes at Threkingham in 870. Hence the name Algarkirk.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Algarkirk St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Boston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Algarkirk:
The register dates from the year 1678.
Church of England
SS. Peter and Paul (parish church)
The church of SS. Peter and Paul, standing in a picturesque position and surrounded by groups of trees, is a magnificent cruciform building of stone, chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, and was thoroughly restored in 1850-51 by Canon Beridge, from designs of the late Mr. Carpenter, the north aisle and south porch being wholly rebuilt, new roofs fixed, open seats placed throughout the church and a low leaded spire added to the tower: the superb reredos of Caen stone was decorated in polychrome by Mr. Crace, and the altar cloth was embroidered and presented by Miss Blencowe: the church consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches, transepts and a tower with small spire rising from the centre and containing 5 bells, all cast at the foundry of Thomas Norris, of Stamford, in 1662: the whole of the windows in the body of the church are stained, and there are some remains of ancient glass in the vestry: a fine-toned organ was given by the rector in 1876: some fragments of the earlier Norman church are preserved in the vestry, but the oldest portions of the existing building are comprised in the tower, part of the transepts, the nave, arcade and north doorway: the chancel, which has a modern east window, together with its aisles and the nave, are Decorated: the latest portion is the battlemented clerestory, lighted by ten windows on each side, and the low roof: the interior of the chancel is elaborately decorated in gold and color, and has a double piscina of Early English date and a locker on the opposite side: there is also a beautiful canopied and crocketed piscina in the south transept: the font, of Purbeck marble, has an octangular basin on a clustered shaft: the principal fittings are of oak: in the tower are three slabs of grey marble, from the first of which effigies in brass of a civilian, and his two wives, with other brasses, have been removsd: another now retains only a dimidiated figure of the Holy Virgin and Child: the third slab has brass effigies kneeling of Nicholas Robertson, merchant of the staple of Calais, ob. 1498, and his wives, Isabella and Alice, the latter of whom was buried at St. Botolph's, Boston, in 1458; the merchant is attired in a furred gown, with girdle, from which depends a gypciere or purse; below on a separate brass is an admonitory inscription in abbreviated Latin, but without name or date: in the churchyard is the effigy of a civilian of the 14th century, and adjoining it is the effigy of a priest in eucharistic vestments: there are 300 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Algarkirk from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Algarkirk (St. Peter and St. Paul))
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire, 1919
Online maps of Algarkirk are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: