Addlethorpe, a village and a parish in Lincolnshire, on the coast, 6 miles NE of Burgh station on the G.N.R., and 9½ SE of Alford. Post town, Burgh (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Skegness. Acreage, 2293; population of the civil parish, 224; of the ecclesiastical, 210. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln; gross yearly value, £146 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is rich Perpendicular English, and has several oak stalls and a chancel wooden screen. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Addlethorpe St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Spilsby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Addlethorpe 1561-1837, Lincolnshire is available to browse online.
The register dates from the year 1542.
Findmypast, in conjunction with the Lincolnshire Archives, have the following parish records online for Addlethorpe:
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The church of St. Nicholas, standing on rising ground, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of clerestoried nave of five bays and aisles, an especially beautiful south porch and embattled western tower with pinnacles containing 6 bells: the chancel was pulled down in 1706 and has never been rebuilt: there are two carved screens, one of which, under the arch which separates the tower from the nave, is nearly perfect, and has carved upon the solid heading of its doorway the legend :- "Orate p. anima Johannis Dideck senior et uxor eius;" the other, under the chancel arch, is enriched with color and gilding; the eastern portions of both aisles are also inclosed with screen work to form chapels: each of these retains its piscina: at the west ends of the aisles are other portions of screens once inclosing these: the font is coeval with the church: the windows of the north aisle retain fragments of ancient stained glass, including several figures of angels and ecclesiastics, and a new west window was erected about 1895: the parapet of the porch is adorned with gracefully carved foliage, and the apex of the gable bears a crucifix with richly foliated terminals: the sides and angles are supported by buttresses terminating in pinnacles, and the parapet is panelled: within the porch is a stoup, and above it a niche, and another niche appears over the doorway: on the north side are six handsome buthresses, surmounted by pinnacles adorned, with fretwork, and bearing grotesque figures holding scrolls: in 1875 the church was reseated and partially repaired by public subscription: there are about 250 sittings: the base and part of the shaft of a cross remain in the churchyard.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Addlethorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Addlethorpe (St. Nicholas))
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire, 1919
Online maps of Addlethorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Lincolnshire papers online: