Wrockwardine, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands half a mile SSW of Admaston station on the G.W.R. and L. & N.W.R., and 2 miles W by N of Wellington, and has a post office under Wellington; money order and telegraph office, Wellington. The parish includes Admaston, Allscot, Bratton, Burcott, Clottley, Leaton, Charlton, Long Lane, and Walcot townships, and comprises 4583 acres; population of the civil parish, 1203; of the ecclesiastical, 1173. There is a parish council consisting of eleven members. Overley and Orleton are chief residences. A mineral spring is in Admaston. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £240 with residence. The church is Early English, with traces of Norman work.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wrockwardine St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wrockwardine from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wrockwardine (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Wrockwardine are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.