Whittington, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands on the Holyhead road, near the river Perry and the Shropshire Union Canal, 2½ miles ENE of Oswestry, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Oswestry, and stations on the Cambrian railway and the G.W.R. The parish includes also the townships of Berghill, Daywell, Ebuall, Fernhill, Henlle, Hindford, and Frankton. Acreage, 8666; population of the civil parish, 2103; of the ecclesiastical, 1571. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. Balaton, Belmont, Fernhill, and Park Hall are chief residences. Park Hall is a handsome Elizabethan gabled timber mansion, with a chapel attached to the west end. An ancient moated castle of Roger Montgomery was here, is supposed to date from the 9th century, passed to the Peverells and the Fitzwarines, and is still represented by parts of five towers and of the gateway. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Asaph; net value, £375 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1804, partially restored in 1861 and fully restored in 1894. The parish includes part of the ecclesiastical parishes of Hengoed and Welsh Frankton. There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whittington St. John the Baptist|
|Registration district||Oswestry||1837 - 2005|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1591.
Church of England
St. John the Baptist (parish church)
The church of St. John the Baptist, erected in 1747, and rebuilt in 1804 at a cost of £1,500, is a plain structure of brick, consisting of chancel with north aisle, nave, vestry and a western tower containing 6 bells: in 1908 the north aisle of the chancel was converted into a side chapel: the stained east window is a memorial to Constance Charlotte Crofon, d. 1860; and there are other memorial windows to Joseph Venables Lovett, d. 1866, and Margaret, his wife, d. 1851; Thomas Lovett, d. 1863; one placed in 1895 to Col. Lovett, and one added in 1912 to the wife and daughter of Capt. John Henniker Lovett D.L., J.P.: there is a marble tablet to the Rev. Charles Arthur Albany Lloyd, rector of this parish 1809-51: in 1899 a chancel screen and choir stalls of oak were erected as a memorial to the Right Rev. William Walsham How, rector 1851-79 and Bishop of Wakefield 1888-97, who died August 11th, 1897: the chancel was in great part rebuilt and a north chancel aisle added in 1861: the church was further restored in 1884, when the vestry was added and a new organ introduced, and again in 1894, when the greater part of the fabric was renovated, at a cost of £2,000: on the roadside, opposite the church, stands a handsome memorial cross of Portland stone, about ten feet in height, also erected in 1898 as a memorial to the Bishop.
St. John the Baptist, Whittington
St. John the Baptist, Whittington
The Congregational chapel was erected in 1897-8, and has 150 sittings
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Whittington from 1837 to 2005 you should search for the Oswestry Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whittington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Whittington (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Whittington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.