Sutton Maddock, Shropshire
Sutton Maddock, a village and a parish in Salop, near the river Severn, 1½ mile ESE of Coalport station on the L. & N.W.R. and G.W.R., 3 miles S of Madeley, and 4 S of Shifnal. Post town, Shifnal; money order and telegraph office, Madeley. The parish includes the township of Brockton and part of that of Coalport. Acreage, 2739; population, 395. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Kemberton. The church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1888.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton-Maddock St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Shiffnall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton Maddock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton-Maddock (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Sutton Maddock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.