Stokesay, a township and a parish in Salop. The township lies on the river Onny, 7 miles NW of Ludlow. It has a station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway. Post town, Craven Arms (R.S.O.) A cattle fair is held monthly. The parish contains also the townships of Aldun, Newton, Rowton, and Wettleton. Acreage, 3661; population, 942. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor was held by the de Lacys at Domesday, passed to the de Says, the de Ludlows, and the Vernons of Haddon Hall, and subsequently to the Earls of Craven. It belongs now to the Allcroft family. Stokesay Castle is a fine example of a fortified mansion of the 13th century, and has been carefully restored. The building is rectangular, and surrounded by a moat. It comprises a great hall with adjacent apartments, a great tower, and a fine timber gatehouse. It was garrisoned for the king in the Civil War, but surrendered to the Parliamentary forces, and was partly dismantled. A large rectangular earthwork called Norton Camp, is on the brow of a wooded hill to the eastward. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, £279 with residence. The church was destroyed in the Civil War, and rebuilt in 1654. There are Baptist and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stokesay St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stokesay from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Stokesay (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Stokesay are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.