UK Genealogy Archives logo

Sibdon Carwood, Shropshire

Historical Description

Sibdon Carwood, a parish in Salop, 2 miles WSW of Craven Arms station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford (L. & N.W. and G.W. Joint) railway, and 7¼ SSW of Church Stretton. Post town, Craven Arms (R.S.O.) Acreage, 769; population of the civil parish, 63; of the ecclesiastical, with Halford, 346. Sibdon Castle, an ancient mansion, is the seat of the lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage, with Halford annexed, in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £60 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1741 and enlarged in 1872.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySalop 
HundredPurslow 
Poor Law unionChurch-Stretton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the Shropshire Archives have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Sibdon Carwood


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sibdon Carwood from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Sibdon Carwood are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyShropshire
RegionWest Midlands
CountryEngland
Postal districtSY7