Shawbury, a village and a parish in Salop. The village lies on the river Roden, 4 miles E by N of Hadnall station on the Shrewsbury and Crewe section of the L. & N.W.R., 6 SE of Wem, and 7 NE by N of Shrewsbury. It has a post and money order office under Shrewsbury; telegraph office, Hadnall. The parish contains also the townships of Acton Reynald, Bessford, Edgeboulton, Muckleton, and Great and Little Wythefold. Acreage, 7367; population of the civil parish, 847; of the ecclesiastical, 859. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £311 with residence. The church, chiefly Norman, contains a Saxon font.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Shawbury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Wem|
|Registration district||Whitchurch||1935 - 1969|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Shawbury from 1935 to 1969 you should search for the Whitchurch Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shawbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shawbury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Shawbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.