Rushbury, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands 4 miles E by S of Church Stretton, was once a market-town, and has a station on the Wellington and Craven Arms branch of the G.W.R. There is a post office at Wall-under-Haywood, under Church Stretton (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Church Stretton. The parish includes the townships of Rushbury, Stone Acton, Wall-under-Haywood, Longville-in-the Dale, Luschott, Stanway, and parts of Gretton and Eastwall. Acreage, 6304; population of the civil parish, 550; of the ecclesiastical, 464. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The parish is traversed by Watling Street and Ryknield Street, is supposed to have had a Roman station, and has yielded Roman coins. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £291 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1855. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Rushbury St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Church-Stretton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Rushbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Rushbury (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Rushbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.