Oldbury, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands near the river Severn, 1 mile SSW of Bridgnorth, and has a post office under Bridgnorth; money order and telegraph office, Bridgnorth. Bridgnorth railway station is in the parish. The parish comprises 817 acres; population, 272. There is an ancient tumulus in the parish which, according to Mr Eyton in his " Antiquities of Shropshire," is believed to have been the site of one of the castles built by Ethelfleda to protect the neighbourhood against Danish invasions. According to local tradition the Parliamentary army in the Civil Wars of Charles I. bombarded Bridgnorth Castle from the summit of this tumulus. It is known as " Pam Pudding " or " Pan Pudding Hill." The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £165 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1858.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Oldbury St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Bridgnorth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oldbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Oldbury (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Oldbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.