Moreton Say, Shropshire
Moreton Say, a township and a parish in Salop. The township lies ou a small affluent of the river Tern, 2 miles SSW of the boundary with Cheshire, 2¼ WNW of the boundary with Staffordshire, and 3 W of Market Drayton. The parish contains also the townships of Bletchley, Longford, and Styche, and its post town is Market Drayton. Acreage, 5999; population of the civil parish, 777; of the ecclesiastical, 670. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £515 with residence. The church is of the 14th century, was cased with brick in 1788, has a tower, and contains memorials of the distinguished Lord Clive, who was interred here, and monuments to the Clive family and to the Vernons. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Moreton Sea or Say St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Drayton|
|Registration district||Whitchurch||1935 - 1969|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Moreton Say from 1935 to 1969 you should search for the Whitchurch Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moreton Say from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Moreton Sea or Say (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Moreton Say are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.