North Lydbury, Shropshire
Lydbury, North, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Plowden station on the Bishop's Castle railway, and 4 SE of Bishop's Castle, and has a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Bishop's Castle. The parish contains also the townships of Acton, Brockton, Lower Down, Eaton, Choulton, Eyton and Plowden, and Totterton. Acreage, 8195; population, 866. Walcot Park is the seat of the Earl of Powis, and contains many Indian products, brought hither by Lord Clive, and some good paintings. Plowden Hall has been the seat of the Plowden family since the llth century, and is an ancient half-timbered mansion. Totterton Hall is a handsome mansion. A castellated seat of the bishops of Hereford was here in the time of Henry III. There is a very large camp covering several acres, the trenches of which are very clearly denned; and a smaller encampment above Eyton is known as " Billing's Ring." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £256 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Powis. The church is ancient, has undergone modern improvements, and includes an ancient chapel with stone altar. The chancel retains a piscina and aumbry, and the doorway is Norman. There are Roman Catholic and Primitive Methodist chapels and a free library.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.