Ludford, a parish in Salop and Herefordshire, containing a village of its own name in Herefordshire. The village stands on the river Teme, immediately outside the town of Ludlow; occupies the site of a Roman station, is an old-fashioned place, and has an old but substantial bridge communicating with Ludlow. Post town, Ludlow. Acreage, 1494; population, 528. There is a parish council of nine members. Ludford House was formerly the seat of the Charlton family, one of whom entertained James II. here in 1687. The mansion formed part of the Hospital of St John in the 13th century. Stone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford; net value, £130. The church is ancient, and was restored in 1866. Almshouses for six poor persons were founded in 1672.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ludford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ludford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.