Leighton, a village and a parish in Salop. The village stands on the river Severn, under the Wrekin, 2 miles NE of Cressage station on the Severn Valley branch of the G.W.R., and 5 NW of Much Wenlock. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Ironbridge (E.S.O.) The parish contains the townships of Leighton and Garm-ston, and, for ecclesiastical purposes, Belswardyne, which is for civil purposes a part of Cressage parish. Acreage, 1712; population of the civil parish, 268; of the ecclesiastical, 302. Leighton Hall is a chief residence. The Wrekin, forming a grand feature, and commanding an extensive view, is on the NE border. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value,, £215. The church is a good brick building, with a wooden tower, and contains a recumbent effigy of a knight in armour, one of the De Leighton family, said to have been brought from Buildwas Abbey at the dissolution.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Leighton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Atcham|
|Registration district||Atcham||1837 - 1935|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
For births, marriages, and deaths in Leighton from 1837 to 1935 you should search for the Atcham Registration District.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Leighton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Leighton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Leighton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.