Holdgate or Holgate, Shropshire
Holdgate or Holgate, a township and a parish in Salop. The township lies on the river Corve, 5 miles S of Rushbury station on the Wellington and Craven Arms branch of the G.W.R, and 9 S by W of Much Wenlock. The parish contains also the township of Brookhampton, and for ecclesiastical purposes only that of Bouldon, and its post town is Much Wenlock. Acreage, 1254; population of the civil parish, 95; of the ecclesiastical, 170. An ancient castle formerly stood here. The living is a rectory, with Bouldon, and a subdeaconry in the diocese of Hereford; gross value, -E400 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is Norman, and has a beautiful Norman doorway and a Norman font. There is a small church at Bouldon.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Holdgate Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Holdgate or Holgate from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Holdgate (Holy Trinity))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.