Halford, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Bromfield parish, Salop, on the river Onney, half a mile NE of Craven Arms station on the Shrewsbury and Hereford Joint (L. & N.W. and G.W.) railway, and 7g- miles NW of Ludlow. Acreage of township, 1348; population, 283. The chapelry includes the township of Dinchope, and its post town is Craven Arms (R.S.O.) The living is a vicarage, united with that of Sibdon Carwood, in the diocese of Hereford; joint net value, £60 with residence. Patron, Lord Windsor, who is lord of the manor. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1848.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Ludlow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Halford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Shropshire (Salop) is available to browse.
Online maps of Halford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Shropshire newspapers online:
- Shrewsbury Chronicle
- Wellington Journal
- Eddowes's Journal, and General Advertiser for Shropshire, and the Principality of Wales
- Ludlow Advertiser
- Salopian Journal
The Visitation of Shropshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.